The MobileRAID MR8F8 series is a 8 bay dual channel 8Gb/s Fibre Channel RAID tower that utilizes the same engines as the AccuRAID enterprise level rackmount storage. Sans Digital is one of the first manufacturers to utilize SCSI, SAS, and Fibre Channel interfaces in a tower format. These interfaces are rarely seen in tower formats, and are the perfect solutions for professional environments that require exceptionally fast read and write speeds, such as video editing fields. The advanced characteristic of this latest series are derived from the previously released AccuRAID rackmounts. Utilizing the same engine structure as the high-end rackmounts, the MobileRAID provides storage features such as dual channel support, online expansion, online RAID migration, and RAID roaming. Embedded ethernet web managements allow local and remote access to the status of the storage system, as well as send out critical alerts for system events. The built-in hardware RAID engines provide seamless hardware integration, eliminating OS compatibility issues.
The MobileRAID series is the first tower series to utilize dual channel host interfaces, as well as SPC-3 Persistent Reservation commands. The dual channel host interfaces provide two physical connections for server clustering, which allow automatic failover without data access downtime in the case of server failure. SPC-3 Persistent Reservation is the latest mandatory requirement when setting up clustering via Windows Server 2008. Integrating this feature into the 8-bay MobileRAID models allows them to be fully functional under Windows, Linux, and MAC operating systems.
Note: Sans Digital recommends the use of enterprise hard drives when in use with any RAID controller applications. Standard desktop or green desktop drive may not be supported and may compromise RAID system stability and performance. For more information on the difference between RAID and desktop hard drives, please see the Western Digital knowledge base. For a list of compatible RAID Edition SATA hard drives, please refer to the list below:
- Hardware RAID, supporting RAID 0, 1, 1+0, 3, 5, 6, JBOD and hot spare disk.
- Dual Fibre Channel 8Gb/s host interface, supporting clustering operating system.
- True hardware RAID design within the enclosure, no driver and no additional RAID controller needed.
- Multiple RAID volume support.
- Supports SATA and SAS hard drives.
- Over 2TB support.
- Supports SMART, NCQ, and OOB staggered spin-up capable drives.
- Online array roaming.
- Online RAID level / stripe size migration.
- Online RAID capacity expansion and RAID level migration simultaneously.
- Automatic insertion / removal detection and rebuild.
- Hard drive, fan and temperature failure detectors to ensure system stability.
- Web browser-based RAID management via Arc. Http Proxy through RS-232 port for Windows, Linux and FreeBSD enviroments.
- Standard Interface. No extra drivers required.